Yes this may be a bold statement, but there are many reasons why New Zealand is the best country for backpacking. Although relatively small, New Zealand can seem larger than life as it has some of the most dynamic and diverse landscapes on the planet. With the sense of adventure that is thrust upon you from the minute you land, you get the feeling that New Zealand was created for backpacking.
People from all over the world come to visit New Zealand each year and although getting here can be a mission sometimes, you will certainly reap the rewards.
So book your self that one year working holiday visa by clicking the link and come on down to for an experience you will never forget. I will warn you though, you may end up staying a lot longer…
Why New Zealand the best country for backpacking
1. The landscapes – From the rolling green hills in the North Island to the snow-capped mountain peaks on the south island, it is easy to see why New Zealand was chosen to be featured in The Lord of the rings and The Hobbit trilogies. Not to mention The Chronicles of Narnia, King Kong and Avatar.
With so much to see and do most people spend anywhere between 3 months to a full year exploring this amazing country. Which is why the working holiday visa is a great option. Remember to pack extra memory cards as by the time you have traveled around both islands, your camera will be begging you for mercy.
2. Perfect for adrenaline junkies and extreme sports – It’s no secret that New Zealand is known as being the adrenaline capital of the world. Would you like to skydive from 18000ft over glaciers? Do a 134m bungee jump in Queenstown? Go whitewater rafting in Rotaroa? If you answered yes to any of these, then New Zealand is the place for you to get the adrenaline pumping and your heart racing.
The country is all about the outdoors. Whether you like mountain biking, Snowboarding kayaking, pretty much anything you can think of, New Zealand will have what you are looking for.
3. Hiking and trekking – Traveling can be expensive so its good to have some free things to do. The best thing you can do for free in my eyes is to go walking or hiking. There is an abundance of walking trails in New Zealand and all the tracks are very well maintained and easy to navigate. wether you just want to go a gentle stroll of go on a multi day trek there is something for everyone. Going hiking is by far the best way to immerse yourself and be blown away by the beauty of the landscapes.
The Department of Conservation has details of just about every single walking track and is a great source of information. There are 9 Great walks in New Zealand where you can spend the night in a hut along the way. This is also a great way of meeting new like-minded people. You can view all 9 great walks here and plan your trip.
4. Many work opportunities – Yes that’s right, Work. Unless you are blessed with an extremely healthy bank account, if you are traveling for a year there is a good chance that you may have to pick work up along the way. Luckily though New Zealand is blessed with countless opportunities. Especially if you already work in the construction industry. Even if you don’t there are a multitude of temping agencies that can find you a variety of work from administration work to factory work. You may not find your dream job but you will gain valuable experience, but more importantly you will be topping up your bank account to allow you to travel even longer.
5. Easy to travel – New Zealand is Notably one of the easiest countries to travel in. With flexible package tours that include transport and accommodation you will never be stuck trying to get to your next destination. The bus drivers are also great as they are your guide for the day, giving you heaps of information and stop off at some of the best locations of each area as you travel through them.
If you want more freedom, instead of busing between cities many backpackers buy a car or van which can be bought fairly cheaply and sell it on before they leave. This is great as you can take your time and go at your own leisure and take in the full experience. For finding cars check out Trade me which is the New Zealand version of Ebay. You can find everything you need on here from Cars to finding long term accommodation.
And Finally, New Zealand is one of the safest places for backpacking. – With its easy-going attitude to life and friendly people, New Zealand is one of the Safest countries in the world to travel in. That’s not to say things can’t happen. Just pack your common sense with you and remember to always keep valuables locked up and out of sight. If you are hitchhiking (which is legal in New Zealand) travel in pairs if you can. This also goes if you are picking up hitchhikers. It is easy to let your guard down in New Zealand, so if you get a bad feeling about something just listen to your instincts.
I hope you enjoyed reading why New Zealand is the best country for backpacking. Click here to see my top 5 places in New Zealand.
For more Information, tips and photographs follow me on:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/bonvoyagebryan/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/bon_voyage_bryan/
YouTube – https://youtube.com/bonvoyagebryan
P.S if you found this useful or know someone who wants to travel to New Zealand share this post with them.
Thanks and bon voyage.